This morning, Family Equality Council is releasing a groundbreaking report in Washington D.C. designed to focus the national spotlight on the 2 million children being raised by LGBT parents.
All Children Matter shows how our kids have become the victims of antiquated laws, discriminatory policies and hostile political decisions.
We know our kids live everyday in legal and social jeopardy because of these laws. Now everyone will know that our children matter.
The report shows how current laws can:
- Deny legal ties to both of their parents—which affects everything from custody to a parent being able to make emergency medical decisions for his or her child.
- Separate children from their parents in cases of divorce or death of a parent.
- Tie their access to critical federal and state safety net programs to family structure, rather than need.
- Deny our children access to quality child care and early childhood education.
- Deny our kids Social Security survivor benefits or inheritance when a parent dies.
- Put a child’s legal ties to his or her parents in jeopardy if the family crosses state lines.
- Deny forever homes to 115,000 children awaiting adoption.
The report wraps up with a set of practical policy recommendations that could fix the discrimination that exists today.
I will be in Washington D.C. later this morning talking to policymakers and the media about the report and I wanted to give you two opportunities to participate.
- You can watch a livestream of the D.C. event today from 10:00a.m. ET to 12:00 p.m. by
following this link: http://www.americanprogress.org/events/2011/10/LGBTfamilies.html
- You can read the report, share it and learn how to help us make the policy changes needed to ensure that our children matter, by logging onto: http://www.children-matter.org